Hopeful Reading List For 2015

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThere are so, so many books I want to read right now that I thought it would be fun to make a list to keep myself on track (or try to), and also have something to look back on at the end of the year to see how I did.

These are the books that are top of mind right now, either because they are newly discovered, or because I have been hearing about them so much that I don’t want to put them off much longer, or because they have been in my TBR pile for centuries.

1. A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra – This has been in my TBR pile for centuries. I have heard so many good things about it, and I own it, so why haven’t I read it yet??

2. The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach – Cathy named this one as her book of the year this year, so of course I have to read it now.

3. Tell by Frances Itani – I loved Deafening, and Tell was shortlisted for the Giller Prize this year.  22557361

4. The Blue Tattoo by Steven Laffoley – After reading and loving Black Snow, I discovered there was a new book out that takes place during the Halifax Explosion. I have to read it and compare!

5. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr – Everyone seems to love this book, and it sounds right up my alley. I just haven’t gotten to it yet.

6. Us Conductors by Sean Michaels – This book won the Giller Prize this year. I have already started it, and I am loving it.

7. A Measure of Light by Beth Powning – I loved The Sea Captain’s Wife so much, and this is her newest book, coming out in March, 2015.

8. Against A Darkening Sky by Lauren B. Davis – I loved The Empty Room and Our Daily Bread. This is her newest book, coming out in April, 2015. 22999233

9. Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden – I have read The Orenda and Three Day Road and loved them both. This one has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years, and I haven’t read it yet?

10. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro – Another book that has been in my pile forever.

11. The Republic of Nothing by Lesley Choyce – I have had this in my TBR pile since the Canada Reads list for 2014 came out last November. I really do want to read it.

12. Running the Whale’s Back – This is a collection of stories from Atlantic Canadian authors that came out at the end of 2013. I got it for Christmas, and thought it would be a good one to read for the Summer of the Canadian Short Story Challenge hosted by Write Reads.

13. Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed – I got this for Christmas, as well, and have heard lots of good things.

14. No Turning Back: Surviving the Linehan Family Tragedy by Ida Linehan Young – A new memoir by a woman from Newfoundland whose family home was destroyed by fire when she was girl. I discovered it at Atlantic Books Today.

15. Girl Runner by Carrie Snyder – This book has finally come in at my library, so I will be reading it soon!

16. Canada’s Great War Album – Another Christmas gift which looks both beautiful and interesting. OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

17. Books from the 2015 Canada Reads list , particularly the ones from the Top 5 list that will be announced on January 20th. I have already read All My Puny Sorrows and Ru.

18. I have just recently joined the Anne Read-along with Lindsey, so I will hopefully be reading one Anne book each month from now until August. I’m looking forward to re-reading my favourite childhood books, and happy to have company doing it!

19. And, of course, I will continue with my A-Z CanLit Challenge. I am currently on letter ‘L’, and am trying to decide between The Golden Mean by Annabel Lyon and Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence. Any opinions or suggestions?

729251 6396579

Okay, I am scaring myself with this list.

My kids and I were talking one day about whether it was possible for someone to have two heads. I told them that if I had two heads, I’d be able to read two books at the same time, and I could get twice as much reading done. They looked at me like I had ten heads, but, come one, wouldn’t that be great?

What book(s) are you most looking forward to reading this year?

32 thoughts on “Hopeful Reading List For 2015

1. Geoff W says:

Oh you must bump up Never Let Me Go! I read it two years ago and it was by far the best I read that year and it still eerily sits with me. Also, I’m not sure you’d need to read two books, you could just have one head that was CONSTANTLY reading and the other one could deal with mundane life!!!! 😀

Oh, that’s a good idea, too! 🙂
      It’s good to know you thought so much of Never Let Me Go. Putting it on this list hopefully means it will be read soon!

2. Amy Sachs says:

Tiny Beautiful Things (well finishing it!), All the Light We Cannot See, and A Constellation of Vital Phenomena are on my list too! I can’t wait to see what you think!

3. My Book Strings says:

I want to read A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, Never Let Me Go, and The Art of Fielding sooner rather than later. We’ll see how that works out. I also want two heads, four hands, and maybe an extra 4 hours a day. Oh the things I could get accomplished… 🙂

4. ebookclassics says:

What a great looking list! You always manage to find interesting Canadian books I never heard of and I want to read. I love that you are reading the Anne series too. My suggestion is that you read All the Light We Cannot See. I haven’t read it, but everyone seems to agree it’s a very good book and I would love to hear your opinion.

Okay, next time I am at my mother’s house, that’s the one I will borrow. Right now I have her copy of Us Conductors, which is very good!
      Poor Anne. I started reading it last night from my old copy that I got for my eighth birthday. I left it on the shelf beside my bed, and the next time I went in there, it was torn and ripped and spread all over my bed. I guess my dog likes Anne, too. 😦

5. The Paperback Princess says:

GREAT list. You have your work cut out for you this year! I’m glad you’re also in on the Anne challenge. I’ve been meaning to re-read these for AGES so Lindsey’s challenge was just the excuse I needed to make it happen. I can’t wait for you to read All the Light We Cannot See and The Art of Fielding! Both are incredible.

I felt the same way – I have been wanting to re-read them for a long time, and this was just the thing to make me do it. I’m glad you’ll be in on it, too! 🙂
      The scariest thing about my list is that that there were so many more books I could have included. But, I wanted to try to narrow it down to the musts. Now, let’s see how distracted and off-track I become. Ha!

6. Reeder Reads says:

What a GREAT list – you have lots of great reads in your future. I’m also SO glad that you’re joining the Green Gables Readalong. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun! HAPPY READING 🙂

I’m really looking forward to the Readalong, especially with all the great company. My poor book got off to a bad start, though. I started reading it last night (the copy I’ve had since I was eight), then this morning I noticed it torn up all over my bed. I think my dog wants to take part, too. (I salvaged most of it.) 🙂

7. Cecilia says:

I know what you mean!! My list is already piling up even though a major goal of mine is to read more from my existing TBR. I loved Tiny, Beautiful Things and may re-read it this year. A Constellation of Vital Phenomena is also great. I am planning on reading The Art of Fielding, All the Light We Cannot See and Never Let Me Go this year as well! (Carolyn also *loved* Never Let Me Go – everyone’s recommendation has been superlative!) Other books I want to read include Descent that just came out yesterday, Boston Girl and Ishiguro’s new book coming out in March. Happy reading!

It sounds like I’m about to read some pretty great books! On top of the ones I’ve already been reading this year, but haven’t written about yet. I can’t wait!
      I just looked up the books you listed and they all sound so good! It looks like we have a lot of reading ahead of us- I better go start! 🙂

8. Lynn says:

I share your desire to read some of the books you’ve listed, but you included some I’ve never seen before, too! Actually, all I have to do is look around my house to see my TBR list! 🙂 With the book clubs in which I participate, I always have a “reading schedule” anyway and then just try to fit in others as I go along, but you’re really organized! It will be fun to see what you think of each as you finish it and post!

I felt like the books I wanted to read were scattered everywhere; around my house, at the library, being shipped to me in the mail. I wanted to put them down in a list. And, it was fun to do! I’m looking forward to being able to look back at how I did with it.

9. Carolyn O says:

I agree with Geoff–absolutely bump up Never Let Me Go! And Constellation of Vital Phenomena was my favorite book of 2013 –it’s stellar. I’m really interested to hear what you think of the Anne books. I started re-reading them in 2012, and I loved the first two (again), but once Anne married Gilbert I found myself increasingly frustrated by her attitudes, and had to stop reading in the middle of the sixth book. Excited to read your take!

Oh no! Maybe I will feel the same way! I guess I will find out. I do love the last two (#7 and 8), because there is a lot of focus on the children. Maybe you should try those!
      I think your recommendation for Constellation is the reason I bought it on a whim one day (I don’t do that very often). I really am surprised that I haven’t read it yet!

10. Chelsey says:

Ahhhh – I could not advocate more for A Constellation of Vital Phenomena. It was one of the most powerful books I’ve ever read in my entire life and will hold a special place in my heart forever.
    And so many of the books on your list are also on mine! The Art of Fielding has been on my TBR for a few years now and I desperately want to get to it! Looks like you have a great year of reading ahead of you :).

11. Leah says:

There are some fantastic books on your list, but the one I would encourage you to pick up right this very moment is Tiny Beautiful Things. It will open up your heart and break you, and you’ll want to tattoo Strayed’s words all over your body, and you will come back to it over and over again in times of doubt.

Now those are some convincing words! But I can’t pick it up yet… not until I’m done what I’m reading (the library books have to be read first). Soon, though… soon… it hurts to wait…:)

12. Vishy says:

Wonderful list, Naomi! I have heard wonderful things about ‘A Constellation of Wonderful Phenomena’ and ‘The Art of Fielding’. I have also had ‘Never Let me Go’ in my bookshelf forever 🙂 Should pick it up one of these days. I love the titles ‘A Measure of Light’ and ‘Against a Darkening Sky’. Hope you enjoy reading these wonderful books. I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on them. Happy reading!

Of the books you mentioned, I have only read one so far – A Measure of Light. But, it was very good. If you want to learn more about the origins of Quakers in New England, then I highly recommend it.